Panther Field Baseball Complex includes:
The PAC is an air conditioned state of the art facility with a full size college main floor and 2 high school regulation cross courts. A re-finished auxiliary gym adds to the ample space for instruction and play (see below).
The “original” gym used until 2003 by all teams, PE and the local CYO for basketball,
volleyball and wrestling, including tournaments!
Fairfax High School Rebels first took the field at their newly built school in 1937. The construction of the campus was performed by the Works Progress Administration, providing badly needed jobs during the Great Depression. After World War II, the athletic complex was named “War Memorial Field” in honor of Fairfax graduates and other veterans lost during the war. The Fairfax staff developed a reputation during those years for thorough, careful maintenance of the field. The Diocese of Arlington purchased the facility in 1982 and the Panthers first played here in 1983. Improvements from that period included the grandstand and lighting, the pressbox, the flagpole and the Panther Pause concession stand.
The field’s playing surface is Patriot Bermuda grass with a state of the art underground and drainage system. Paul VI is one of only two schools in the conference able to host a night game under the lights!
The wrestling facility at Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax is dedicated to retired Coach John Welcher, who coached for 19 years. The room includes the “PVI Wrestling Wall of Champions” banner, recognizing nearly 50 former and current Panther wrestlers for their distinguished achievements.
A man of principle, Coach Welcher was known for his impeccable integrity, strong discipline and tireless work ethic. It is fitting that the coach’s name should adorn the school’s wrestling room as part of the schools PAC (Panther Activity Center) which opened in 2004.
Paul VI Catholic High School 10675 Fairfax Blvd. Fairfax, VA 22030 (703) 352-0925 firstname.lastname@example.org